American Masters: A Fierce Green Fire
About This Episode
Narrated by Robert Redford, Meryl Streep, Ashley Judd, Van Jones and Isabel Allende, AMERICAN MASTERS: A Fierce Green Fire spans 50 years of grassroots and global activism from the 1960s-2009 and connects the major causes of environmentalism, from conservation to climate change.
Inspired by the book of the same name by environmental journalist and film interviewee Philip Shabecoff, and informed by advisors like conservation biologist E.O. Wilson, A Fierce Green Fire features vivid archival footage and new interviews that shed light on the battle for a living planet. The first four acts include success stories of people fighting for causes against enormous odds, and the fifth concludes with climate change.
1. David Brower and the Sierra Club’s battle to halt dams in the Grand Canyon
2. Lois Gibbs and Love Canal residents’ struggle against 20,000 tons of toxic chemicals
3. Paul Watson and Greenpeace’s campaigns to save whales and baby harp seals
4. Chico Mendes and Brazilian rubbertappers’ fight to save the Amazon rainforest
5. Bill McKibben and the 25-year effort to address the impossible issue – climate change